“U.S. fire departments responded to an average of 358,500 home structure fires per year during 2011 to 2015. These fires caused 12,300 civilian injuries, 2,510 civilian deaths, and $6.7 billion in direct damage. On average, seven people died in U.S. home fires per day.”
While not ALL of these fires can be attributed to an electrical fire… Some of them can.
The only thing worse than having a fire in your home is knowing that it could’ve been prevented.
Please follow these Electrical Safety tips to help prevent an electrical fire in your New Mexico home!
The amount of electricity in the average home is enough to cause serious injury and death, and, according to the National Fire Protection Association, there are 50,000 electrical home fires every year. That’s why it’s so important to take electrical safety seriously in your home.Here are some tips to stay safe around electricity:
Avoid overloading electrical outlets by only plugging in one high-wattage appliance at a time.
Check electrical cords for damage before you plug them in. Cords that are even slightly damaged can lead to electrocutions and fires.
Make sure that cords don’t create tripping hazards.
Place light fixtures on an even surface, and away from flammable materials. Also be sure to use bulbs that match the fixtures’ recommended wattage.
Don’t use electrical appliances like music players and hair dryers near water.
Consider having a certified electrical technician install more outlets in your home if you find yourself using extension cords frequently. Also, if there are small children in your home, consider installing outlets that are only powered when an electrical appliance is plugged in.
Keep in mind that appliances that are turned off are still connected to electricity until they are unplugged.
Unplug appliances from outlets by pulling on the plastic head, not the cord itself.
Always unplug an appliance before cleaning or repairing it.